Jan 3, 2011

Baking 101: Cassava Cake with Coco Custard Topping

I don't know, but aside from the meat and pasta, we always have kakanin in our Media Noche...suman, bibingka, biko, kalamay basta anything kakanin. We usually order them or buy them in the market. 


This year, I thought of making the cassava cake. Tired of the usual yema like topping (which I can buy from a nearby kakanin seller here, even everyday), I searched for something new and interesting twist of the usual cassava cake. And voila! The goddess of all Cassava cakes (well, for me!)...






I got the recipe from here, and the recipe was from Ms. Nena Zafra, though I don't have any idea of her, I can't find any information about her in the net, I thank her for this recipe...uber yummy! 


Even if I tweaked the recipe because I don't have enough amount of the ingredients, it still turned out wonderful. 


For the original version, click here. For my version, see below. hehehe!


My recipe is good for one 11x7x2 pan or 13x9x2 pan.


Ingredients


Cassava Cake


3 1/2 cups grated cassava
1 cup white sugar
2 small cans (154g) evaporated milk
1 cup coconut milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter


Mix all the ingredients, pour in a baking pan and baked for 35 mins or until done. 


Coco Custard Topping


2 small cans (154g) evaporated milk
3/4 cup condensed milk
1 cup coconut milk
2 tbsps flour
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten


Mix the evap, condensed, coconut milk and flour in a sauce pan. Cook over low heat, stir constantly. When the mixture is thick, add the egg yolks. Make sure to stir the mixture to incorporate the eggs well. 


Turn off the fire and pour the mixture evenly on top of the cooked cassava cake and broil the cake until light brown.


Enjoy it warm. 


Happy New Year Everyone!!!

4 comments:

Anne@Ethan said...

wish me luck.. gonna attempt this one :)

anne said...

best yet!! thank you for ur simple bake cassava cake :) hehehehe... sooooo yum.. will send u pics soon.. x

iCyLiCioUs said...

glad you liked it!!!

now i'm craving...hahaha!

Liza E. said...

i suggest that topping be incorporated with cheese and add some crushed cashew nuts on top of it...